Skip to main content

File on escapee sent to DPP

File on escapee sent to DPP

Posted By Staff On August 13, 2008

As the hunt continues for murder accused Trevor Major who escaped from a prison van several weeks ago, the police have concluded their investigations and the file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for advice.

This is according to a senior police officer who also told this newspaper yesterday that there had been no further sighting of the accused.

Though the escapee was alleged to have committed murder, to date the police have not issued a wanted bulletin for his recapture.

The two policemen who were with the prisoner at the time of the daylight escape which occurred near the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court, were placed under close arrest shortly after the incident and investigations began.

Statements were taken from the prisoners who were in the van with Major and according to reports they have given detailed information on how the prisoner managed to pick the handcuffs he was wearing before escaping. According to the police, on July 30, 20-year-old Major was among five remand prisoners who were being transported in a police prison van from the Providence Police Station back to the Georgetown Prison “when it is alleged that he managed to pick the handcuffs and open the prison van door and escaped in the vicinity of Croal Street.”
The escape is said to have occurred around 3.30 pm.

It is unclear at what point the man was discovered missing or how he managed to get out of a moving vehicle which according to the two ranks was locked.

When escorting prisoners, the van are locked with a large padlock from the outside. Even if the padlock was not locked but still hooked onto the door it would still have been difficult for Major to escape.
Major was charged last Septem-ber with the murder of security guard Melvin Sancho whose decomposing body was found on a bed in his Supply, East Bank Demerara home. At the time of his escape, the preliminary inquiry was still being conducted.

Marva Thomas, the mother of the man whom the escapee allegedly killed, is adamant that the getaway should never have occurred. She had told Stabroek News days after the escape that she was present at the Providence Magistrate’s Court one afternoon earlier this year, when the man got out of the docks and attempted to run out of the court. He was captured by the policemen present and was then taken from the court upon the order of the presiding Magistrate.

She had also said that despite this attempt to flee there were no obvious additional security measures enforced at his subsequent court appearances.

Meanwhile, it has been over a month since multi-murder accused Jermaine ‘Skinny’ Charles, managed to squeeze under loose floor boards in his cell shortly after an appearance at the Sparendaam Magistrate’s Court and flee the area unnoticed.

Ranks only realized that he was missing several hours later when they were preparing to take the prisoners back to the Camp Street prison.

Members of the force seem to be divided as to where the man might have fled. Some say that he might have slipped out of the country through our porous borders while others opined that he had rejoined his criminal gang. However the police have said that resources have been dedicated to chasing after him. A $2 million reward was subsequently ordered for any information that would lead to his recapture.

Charles was charged with several high profile murders including that of former Agriculture Minister Satyadeow Sawh, his siblings and security guard and the brutal slaying of five Kaieteur News press men.
Following the escape, several ranks who were on duty at the station at the time were transferred.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from Stabroek News: http://www.stabroeknews.com

URL to article: http://www.stabroeknews.com/news/file-on-escapee-sent-to-dpp/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who are Descendants of Clarence Sancho and Mary (David) Sancho?

Are you aware of Samuel David and Mary (David)Sancho of Golden Grove? Samuel David was a Sergeant of British Guiana Police Force.  Samuel David departed in 1945 or 1946. Mary David and Clarence Sancho were married. The couple had about seven children. Much respect to Wainwright for pointing pieces of information on the David and Sancho union  to me some 43 years ago. Who must I consult to acquire the  knowledge  relative to David family  especially the descendants of  grand Uncle Clarence  Sancho?

Bertrand Aaran Abrams (1929-1969). An Unsung Guyanese Patriot

Bertrand Aaran Abrams (1929-1969).  An Unsung Guyanese Patriot “On July 21, 1954, the plaintiff was convicted by the magistrate of the East Demerara Judicial District for being on June 10, 1954, in possession of prohibited publications contrary to s. 4 of the Undesirable Publications (Prohibition of Importation) Ordinance, and fined $25 or one month’s imprisonment in default. The complaint was filed on June 30, 1954, and made returnable for July 7, 1954.”  “As the appeal against your conviction has been abandoned and the fine paid, I have to inform you that, in accordance with the ruling of the Law Officers for the breach of the emergency regulations, you are dismissed from your post as a Cl. II Assistant Teacher in Cane Grove Anglican School as from 11th January, 1955.”  - Joseph H. Jones, Manager, Cane Grove Anglican School. Opinion – I have no recollection of anyone telling Bertrand Abrams was fired as a school teacher. And for whatever the reasons offered by the colonial authorit…

John Baptiste Sanco

On Friday, March 20, 2009, I visited the New York Public Library, Humanities and Social Sciences (Research Division). I accessed copies of the Trinidad and Tobago year books for the years 1921 thru 1935. I paid particular attention to the obituary, which is found immediately following local events in the publications.

I made notes of the data of persons with the surnames of interest to me. At this instance I cannot locate the entire documentation.
In the yearbook for the year 1929 data is found telling readers that Mrs. Elizabeth Sancho, 92 years old died on November 30, 1928. I suppose she was born in either 1835 or 1836.  (perhaps, wife of John Sancho??)
In other issues of the yearbook entries listed below are included.
Mrs. Rupert Sancho died November 13, 1924 (Possibly, Chinese-Trinidadian)
John Baptiste Sanco died February 17, 1920. (I believe data will prove this John Sancho to be perhaps too young to be an uncle of Lambert Tuckness Sancho, for I am of the impression Sancho male…